School is starting back up this week, and that means parents all across the Kansas…
We all love sweets. Even your friendly Overland Park dentist has been known to indulge. And for most of us, the craving seems more pronounced during the autumn and winter months. It’s only natural, after all. The body is burning extra calories to stay warm as the weather cools, and we’re craving a quick fix of caloric intake to help make up for it.
Of course, it probably doesn’t help that there’s a ton of sweet stuff around the house and office to tempt us during the holiday season. The good news is that sometimes it doesn’t take much to put the brakes on your sugar cravings. When you’re aching for something sweet, snack smarter and get that dose of midday energy you need while keeping refined sugar to a minimum!
Sure, you can always make up a batch of sweet potato brownies or stock fruit puree freezer pops with all-natural ingredients in the freezer, but when that craving hits you in the middle of the day, do you really want to wait it out until you get home? We didn’t think so. That’s why we’ve put together this list of handy, quick snacks that are low in refined sugar.
Note that these snacks do still have sugar in them, but their sweet taste more likely comes from naturally occurring sugars such as those found in fruits instead of the refined sugar you’re likely to find at the convenience store or in the company vending machine. Just remember that even these relatively low-sugar snacks should still be enjoyed in moderation.
- Applesauce – Sweet, low in calories, and available in single-serving packs, applesauce is also good for your digestion because it contains a lot of pectin.
- Banana chips – Filled with healthy sugars, bananas are an energizing snack that’s great any time. The one downside: Bananas aren’t always easy to keep or transport. Fortunately, dried banana chips with no added sugar travel better!
- Dates – There’s a reason they’re called “nature’s candies.”. For those who have a real sweet tooth but still want to snack smart, dates pack a lot of delicious sugar along with some good nutrients.
- Watermelon – It tastes great and, hey, it’s mostly water! Not only does all that water make watermelon relatively low in calories, it also helps you stay hydrated! Of course, watermelon isn’t really something you can keep at your desk at work, but when they’re in season, they’re great at home in the fridge!
- Clementines – They go by a lot of names—Cuties, Sweeties, Halos—but whatever you call them, these super sweet hybrids between oranges and tangerines are easy to peel and packed with Vitamin C!
- Greek yogurt – With so many varieties available, there’s bound to be one you’ll love. Greek yogurt is also very filling and packs plenty of protein to help keep you feeling full until your next meal!
- Almond butter – Good fats, proteins, and plenty of sweetness: What’s not to love about almond butter? Try it on apple slices!
- A tablespoon of honey – Just one tablespoon of honey is around 64 calories! That means you don’t want to overdo it, but it also means that just one tablespoon can get you through a sugar craving with ease!
- Sugar-free, low-fat hot chocolate mix – There’s nothing more comforting than a warm drink during the cold winter months, and these sugar-free options are great for getting your coziness fix while still snacking smart.
- Prunes – Naturally sweet, good for digestion, and available in handy single-serving packs, prunes are also great because they’re a natural source of fiber!
Whatever you snack on this autumn and winter, just remember to brush after, and, of course, make regular visits to your Overland Park dentist! Call Watts Family Dental at (913) 338-3384 to schedule an appointment today!