Most of us make resolutions in the new year—to eat better, exercise more, save money, spend more time with our families, go back to school—but far fewer of us actually see them through. In fact, it’s said that as many as 80% of New Year’s Resolutions fail. Keeping up with your New Year’s Resolutions can be hard work—and maybe that’s why a new trend topping many peoples’ list of New Year’s Resolutions is to simply resolve to get more out of life in the new year.
As your friendly neighborhood family dentist, we can’t think of a better way to approach the new year and all the people you’ll meet than with a big, beautiful smile! If smiling more is on your list of things to do in 2016, then a good place to start is by doing what you can to help keep your smile happy and healthy. Fortunately, there are a lot of ways that you can promote good oral health throughout the year. If you need a place to start, try this Happy Smiles Checklist from your Overland Park dentist:
- Eat 3 healthy meals a day. Diet plays an important role in good dental health, so besides avoiding sugary snacks and drinks, make sure that your teeth and gums have the nutrients they need.
- Get your fruits and veggies. Besides being good for your overall health, many fruits and veggies can also help your teeth!
- Minimize sugary soda pop. Soft drinks aren’t the only culprit either; watch out for any beverage loaded with sugar.
- Drink more water. There’s a reason that doctors recommend drinking lots of water a day; water has health benefits throughout the body, including for your smile.
- Brush regularly. Brush your teeth at least twice a day for 2 minutes each time. Don’t worry, you can brush more often if you’d like!
- Don’t forget to floss. Flossing is an important part of your daily dental routine. Be sure to floss once a day, every day.
- Replace your toothbrush with a Sonicare. Besides being designed to brush optimally, electric toothbrushes also have built-in timers to help make sure you brush for the full 2 minutes that are recommended by the American Dental Association (ADA).
- Guard against injuries. Wear proper mouthguards and other protection when playing sports.
- Brighten your smile with teeth whitening. Many people are sensitive about their smiles, but smiles are one of the first things we notice about new people. So put your best foot (or teeth) forward, with teeth whitening services from your Overland Park dentist.
- Chew sugarless gum. Sugar-free gums made with xylitol can actually be good for your teeth! When in doubt, look for gum with the ADA Seal.
- Visit Watts Family Dental twice a year for cleanings! At the end of the day, nothing beats regular visits to your friendly neighborhood family dentist for happy, healthy smiles. So be sure to come by and see us; you’ll be glad you did!
No matter what your New Year’s Resolutions are this year, a healthy, happy smile will help you get the most out of the new year, and you can get it by doing something you should already be doing anyway! How’s that for a resolution you can stick by?
If happier, healthier smiles are part of your plan for you and your family in the coming year, let your friendly Overland Park dentist at Watts Family Dental start helping today! Appointments are easy; just call us at (913) 338-3384 or fill out our quick and easy online contact form.